Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The stories we tell...

Holy hell it is cold! I imagine this is the type of weather that Phil's friend had in mind when talking about exploding trees. See Phil's blog (The Lonely Wolf) if you want the whole story. It is a great read if I do say so myself - so familiar it is comforting.

This weather had made me resourceful. For the most part, I wear the same layers of long underwear, wool socks, and hat almost every day and sometimes at night too. Since Nichole always drives to school, I do not resist her offers to pick me up. Heck, by the time she gets to my place, her car is already toasty. Aside from the walk from my house to her car, there is only the briefest of moments when I am actually outside. I can go from the parking ramp, to the hospital, and to the 3 different buildings where my classes are held all through an elaborate tunnel system. It is AWESOME and it is also depressing. I like that I never have to get cold. The tunnel system is also very indirect so I can pretend that I am getting a workout by going to the coffee shop on a break. The main problem is that I am in the basement or sub-basement of buildings for 8 hours. I feel like a mole. And when I stare at my face in the fluorescent light of the cold bathrooms, I imagine myself becoming more and more pasty skinned. I long for spring!

And so too, I imagine, does this little girl:

Nichole and I were walking through the tunnel between the Visitor-Patient parking ramp and the medical complex at the U when we overheard a mom talking to her 3 year old daughter. They were getting ready to find their car.

The mom, in a whiny, baby voice says: Let's zip your coat. Do you want to know how cold it is?
The small child mumbled something as her mom bundled her up.
The mom then says, in the same voice: It is so cold that if you don't wear your mittens your fingernails will fall off.

Now when I was a child, I had a vivid imagination. I also believed everything my mother ever said to me. If I was this kid, I'd be terrified! Fingernails falling off?!? AH!

3 Comments:

Blogger cate said...

It is a struggle though, not to lie to kids sometimes. I mean, I'm not supporting this mom's specific lie, or the use of the whiny baby voice.

But, take for example: Yesterday, I copied a spelling list on the board for Pete's reading class so he could run to the office for a minute. I copied one word twice by accident. When the kids noticed, I said, "See, I did that on purpose to test you guys. Good one." Now, I sort of assume that most of the kids know I am lying(joking?) and that this is a dorky and tired line, but I can't help myself.

-Sometimes Lies Are Needed, Dorkiness Elicits Regret

4:33 PM  
Blogger k-k-k-katie said...

Hah! Imagine my surprise when I read a similar story to yours on "Overheard in Minneapolis"...!! At first, I was like "Oh my God, someone else must have heard the same thing Melissa did!" And then I realized I am a little slow sometimes.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My friend told a kid that he mentored (who was from the inner city and didn't see a lot of wildlife) that squirrels are actually really dangerous and you shouldn't make them mad, so don't make eye contact, etc... The kid apparently was terrified of squirrels until his friends started bullying him...

Not the best idea to lie, in the end.

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home