Monday, March 30, 2009

little kids and patients, a rant.

Why do you have to hack all over me?

Okay, maybe not all children and not all patients, but the frequency is high that I get coughed on.

For the kids part, I know of at least 3 little girls that think it is funny to cough on me. They know they shouldn't. I can see it in their eyes! It is like a dare. "Whatcha gonna do, babysitter/sister? I just did something naughty!" Cough cough, spit spit. There has to be a better way to vie for my attention or try to get into trouble. My immune system isn't made of steel!

As for the patients, I know that adults know when to cover their mouths. You would think they would do it even more often seeing as how they are sick and in the hospital. But something about being a patient makes some adults turn into complete babies. Is it so hard to raise a hand to cover a mouth? They stop being able to do things for themselves and they stop having common sense and courtesy when it comes to getting their bodily fluids (be they from their mouths, noses, or other more undesirable places) on other people. Especially other people that happen to be nurses and nurse's aides. It is like they have reverted back to childhood and feel they can treat us like their mom's. And by that I mean treat us like their personal snot rags. I cannot tell you how many times I've been leaning over a patient, listening to their heart and lung sounds, my face a mere foot from theirs, when they start forcefully coughing on my cheek. The next step would probably be to slyly wipe their boogers on my shoulder. (Um, sorry mom, I thought I was being oh so sneaky.)

In these situations all I want to do is shout:

EEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!
GROSS!!!!!
KNOCK IT OFF!!!!!!!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home